You want someone who will spend the time to get a lead just right. You want someone who will email you halfway through the project to let you know the project is on track — and you’ll have the draft in your inbox a day before deadline. You want someone who can talk to a researcher about their basic research on DNA — and help translate those technical details into a gripping story about its potential for better cancer treatments.
With my clients, I’m more than writer for hire, but a true partner. I’ll bring unexpected ideas to the table to turn a good story into a great one. I’ll always have a killer story idea to help fill out your next issue. And I’ll send every project through rigorous source vetting so you’ll know by the time you drop a story into design, the words will be letter-perfect and loved.
Here are some recent client projects:
- Artistic Inspiration in the Internet Age for St. Olaf Alumni Magazine
- Master Minds for Ohio State Alumni Magazine
- Moments of Transformation for Case Western Reserve University’s THINK
- Life and Death Inside the Kitchen for Weinberg Magazine
- The Untold History of Great Grinnell Pranks for The Grinnell Magazine
- The Big Idea for Purdue Alumnus
- Leading the Way for St. John’s Alumni Magazine
- Campus Myth Busters for Grinnell College
- Choosing a Bigger Life for Macalester Today
- Is Less Than Perfect Enough? for The Grinnell Magazine
- Use Your Head for Kent State Magazine
- The Thing That Changed My Mind for Macalester College
- The Insider’s Guide to Life for Denison Magazine
- The Big Idea for At Buffalo
- The Great Big Giving Guide for Purdue Alumnus
- The Insider’s Guide for Getting In for Purdue Alumnus
Sign up for my newsletter to get regular updates on what I’ve been up to.
Development and Fundraising Publications
A successful development or fundraising publication is about more than good writing. It’s about connecting with people on a human level. A college that understands what moves and motivates a donor can link a donor’s desires to the real work that the school does — and create a relationship for life.
That’s why I spend time getting to know your donors deeply by talking with development officers. I dig into contact reports and do deep research on top donors. I develop the stories that speak to them and lead them to give.
I’ve helped develop case statements and gift proposals that have helped schools raise millions of dollars for important initiatives, and I’ve created stewardship reports that tell real stories about the impact of their giving.
Email me directly for samples of case statements, stewardship reports, and gift proposals.
Here are some of my stories for university foundation publications:
- The Bird Watchers for University of Minnesota Foundation Legacy Magazine
- Securing Our Food Animal Supply for Iowa State University Foundation Forward Magazine
Sometimes, your team will be asked to take on special one-time or annual projects that are more than you can tackle on your own. I work with a small team of researchers and writers who can help lighten the load.
I’ve developed an airtight process that includes all the extras you need, including weekly executive reports, source-vetting, and even photo sourcing. You’ll be able to hand the project off while always feeling in control.
- Grinnell College Honor Roll of Giving
- Recognition Publication for The Weissberg Program at Beloit College